Jump to main content of pageaccessibility informationSitemap

21 Sep 2019

Energy helpline Utility Switch
Hometrack House Price Comparison
Life Ins Advice
What's your score?
Buildstore Self Build Mortgages
The Money Centre Buy to Let Mortgages
  1. Buildings and Content Company
  2. Buildings Contents Insurance Quote
  3. Buildings Contents Insurance Advice

Home Insurance

Insurance Companies Buildings and contents company
Buildings and contents insurance company
  • All the Home Insurers online
  • Direct Building & Contents deals
  • Apply online today
  • Apply online you could save £….
Talk to an Advisor buildings content insurance advice
buildings content insurance advice
  • Go direct is here to help
  • Practical Home Ins advice
  • Cheaper home insurance.
  • Get the right policy
  • relevant information more
Home Ins Quote Home insurance quote
Home insurance quote
  • Instant online quotes
  • Search over 60 providers online
  • Home Insurance Guide
  • Landlord insurance
  • Rented or shared accommodation

Home Insurance

Home insurance Guide

Below is a guide to some of the terms and options that you will encounter.

What is buildings insurance
What is contents insurance
What is a rebuild cost
What is provided on a standard basis
What is provided on an accidental damage basis
What are specified and unspecified items
What is personal possessions insurance for tenants
What is personal possessions insurance for students
What is a no claims discount
What is an excess and voluntary excess
What is new for old
How can I reduce my premiums

What is buildings insurance

Buildings insurance usually covers the structure of your home and any fixtures or fittings, garages, drives, fences, walls, out-buildings, swimming pools and tennis courts

Insurance cover includes the cost to repair or rebuild your home if it is damaged to a set rebuild cost although some insurance companies have an unlimited level of cover . Standard cover is new for old and applies to specified perils.
 i.e. fire, lightning, earthquake, storm, flood, burst and leaking pipes, theft, vandalism, collision by vehicles, aircraft and animals, falling trees, subsidence, heave or landslip.

Cover can be on either a standard basis or an accidental damage basis

What is contents insurance

Contents insurance is cover for your household contents, i.e. furniture, carpets, curtains, television, , kitchen equipment, ornaments, personal possessions, clothing, computers, etc. It is the total value of everything that is in your home that you would take with you if you were to move. The contents value does not include items included in building insurance e.g. fitted wardrobes and fitted kitchens. A contents value of £20,000 is the minimum amount for most household contents insurance policies and is insufficient for most people. A likely average is £40-50,000.

With most contents insurance there is the ability to insure your personal possessions away form the home. This optional cover allows you to insure your personal items normally worn or carried outside the home, e.g. watches, jewellery, cameras, anywhere in the world for up to 60 days a year.
Contents cover can be on either a standard basis or an accidental damage basis.

What is a rebuild cost

A rebuild cost is the sum your home is insured for and is normally set by your survey  or mortgage lender when they survey your home. If you are uncertain as to what rebuild cost you should select please use the link below which will help you calculate the figure.

What  is provided on a standard basis

Standard cover is to replace items on a new for old basis and applies to specified perils such as fire, theft, lightning, earthquake, etc. It is important to calculate the value of items to be insured on a new basis, not wear and tear, i.e. calculate the full replacement value.

What are specified and unspecified items

Unspecified items are usually items under the value of £1,000 each. Specified items generally are, freezer contents, pedal cycles (over the value of £400),  musical instruments used for professional or semi-professional purposes, camping equipment, , firearms, dentures. Unspecified items can include other items and equipment, the list varies from insurer to insurer.
Specified items are usually items over the value of £1,000 each, such as watches or jewellery, or items that cannot be covered as unspecified.

What is personal possessions insurance for tenants

Personal possessions insurance for tenants provides cover for the possessions of single people or couples, either living alone or in shared accommodation.
You can typically insure possessions with a total value of between £3,000 and £15,000 on a new for old basis. Additional cover is available including cover for your possessions when away from the home.

What is personal possessions insurance for students

Personal possessions insurance for students provides cover for personal possessions with a typical total value of between £2,000 and £5,000 whether you are living in halls of residence, on or off campus flats or shared houses. Additional cover is available including cover for your possessions when away from the home.

What is a no claims discount

No claims bonuses are awarded according to the number of years you have held home insurance in your own name and have not made a claim. Discounts vary from insurance company to insurance company but usually range from 10% for one claim free year up to 30% or more after and up to three years.

What is an excess and voluntary excess

Excesses are the amounts of a claim that you have to pay. Generally with household insurance policies the insurers will not pay the first £50 of a claim.
In some cases you may elect to pay a voluntary additional excess to receive a lower premium.

What is new for old

The term new for old means that in the event of a claim the damaged item would be replaced at today's price with no deduction for wear and tear. It is important that when calculating your sums to be insured you use the same basis.

How can I reduce my premiums

Many insurers offer premium discounts for improved security. Having good quality locks, an approved burglar alarm, being a member of a police-approved neighborhood watch scheme and being in the property during daylight hours can all mean a cheaper premium.

If you have any questions regarding Building Contents Insurance Please feel free to contact us buildings contents insurance advice

Buildings & Contents Insurance

Buildings & contents insurance can be complicated, we hope that you find the information on buildings & contents insurance on this site useful. If you feel that there areas of buildings and contents not covered in this site that you would like to see please let us know your thoughts contact us.

Thank you for visiting Go Direct Buildings & Contents Insurance , Home ins made simple.

Go Direct UK Ltd t/a Go Financial Services acts as a credit broker not a lender

Go Direct.co.uk is a trading style for website purposes of Go Direct UK Ltd.

Go Financial Services is a trading style of Go Direct UK Ltd which is an appointed representative of Personal Touch Financial Services Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England & Wales Company 5703224. FCA Number 456600

Home | Mortgage Calculator | Best Mortgage Deals | Term Insurance Quote | Mortgage Advice

Personal Finance | Life Insurance Quotes